Friday, January 9, 2009

MY STORY


I was diagnosed with Chrones Disease in October 2007 at 18 years old. I got it from my dad, who was diagnosed with it at 11 i think. (he was one of the youngest people diagnosed at the time)

It has been nothing but a struggle for me since day 1. I have been hospitalized 5 times for it in a year, and i have had to have 3 colonoscopies and 2 resulting surgeries.

For a while i was doing everything that the doctor said, I changed my diet, went on prednisone and Humira, and saw him on a regular basis. But I never seemed to feel better and I just ended up back in the hospital. Well, that doctor was a DUMBASS. Maybe I didn't ask enough questions, but he failed to tell me that the Chrones was infecting both my large and small intestines and what the prednisone was doing to my body. It wasn't til I switched doctors that I found this out. THe prednisone thing isn't that bad I GUESS, but to not mention that the chrones was infecting my large intestines as well...thats just being lazy, I think this is something I should know.

So in May of 2008 I got sick again and I was told that my new doctor wants a colonoscopy. My thought was 'whatever, I have already been down this road, its not that big a deal'. I woke up in excruciating pain, not being able to breath, and everyone freaking out around me. No one would tell me what was wrong and my stomach was inflated like a balloon. Long story short they perferated my colon. My GI came in the room and she's like we might have to temporarily disconnect your colon and give you a colastomy bag for a week or so... I wake up from surgery in ALOT of pain, instantly I lift up my hospital gown to see the damage and to my luck all there was was a HUGE gauze pad taped to my stomach, with my colon completly intact. thank god.

The damage to my colon wasn't that bad and they were able to find it and fix it with out taking anything out.

Since then I haven't really gotten sick, I have had a few minor stomach aches, but I have been pretty lucky. I did just have to get a hernia fixed that I got because I lifted to soon after the surgery in May. Word of the wise, if you have a hernia, don't wait three months to fix it. I was hospitalized for 5 days and it was the most painful 5 days of my life, and even now almost a month later I am still in minor pain.

I haven't really gotten sick since May, the truth is is that I took things into my own hands in May. I stopped going to the doctor, and I stopped taking Humira. I watch what I eat, and when I do get sick I know how to handle it, I know how to control it, I know how to calm my stomach down. But I am not saying however that everyone should stop going to the doctor and stop taking there meds, because everyones case is different, there is alot of cases that are worse than mine and when I feel like I can't handle it anymore I will go back to the doctor and I will start listening to them again-

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashley, love the blog and thanks for checking out mine. I appreciate the input and I'm always interested in hearing how others are able to cope. It sounds like you are doing okay with it. This disease really sucks but like you said you really learn a lot about yourself and your friends. Hope you stay healthy. I'll be sure to check out your blog again.

    ReplyDelete